EOS and La Solitude partnered to create a community forest in Memramcook. On May 1st, 2023 EOS staff members and volunteers planted over 300 native trees. EOS staff members and volunteers returned on May 12th to stake and fence the trees. Thanks to Environment and Climate Change Canada, Horizon Health and Tree Canada for financial support!
EOS partnered with Marshview Middle School in Sackville to plant an urban food forest on June 7th and 8th, 2023. The entire school went outside to see Nicole Porter, from Fort Folly First Nation, speak about the four directions and bless the land before planting began. Estelle Drisdelle from Understory Farm, the teachers and the kids were involved with the design process and the planting of the forest. This project was funded by Environment and Climate Change Canada, Horizon Health, and the Rotary Club of Sackville.
Renew New Brunswick
We wanted to share what we’ve been up to regarding energy in the past year!
Thanks to support from New Brunswick’s Environmental Trust Fund, we completed our 2022-2023 Project “Renew New Brunswick,” focusing on renewable energy education in our province, and we wanted to share our highlights:
Solar Bulk Purchase Program
- We completed our 4th Solar Bulk Purchase Program, thanks to our partnership with TruSun Solar Energy and Imaginons la Péninsule acadienne autrement .
- Check out our Key Progress Indicators from TruSun.
- We hosted a webinar , which is now published on YouTube
- By Christmas 2022, TruSun had done 68 assessments/ preliminary site analysis’
- 11 systems are planned for 2023, and program participants saved $30 000 (around $2727 averaged saved per system)
- The panels installed will offset ~159 tonnes of CO2 per year.
- We helped coordinate the Renewables New Brunswick Network and continued to build the resources on our site, including more tips on energy efficiency & updated incentives
- Created a simple form so you can share your own case studies of efficiency, renewable energy and green building.
- 115 profiles: Added case studies and updates to our amazing interactive map. Including a 6-video series from Cape Jourimain Nature Centre about their on-site environmental technology.
Climate and Renewable Energy Week 2023
- We hosted our first ever C.A.R.E. Week– Climate and Renewable Energy week.
- Altogether, 102 participants joined our events in person and we have 6 hours of online. Check out our 6 videos from our webinar series on our Youtube Playlist
Education & Outreach
- Working closely with Centre of Excellence for Energy & Port Elgin Regional School, EOS developed and delivered lesson plans and education around renewable energy in New Brunswick. Including adding lesson plans and teacher resources to our educational resource library.
- In total, EOS spent 8.5 hours in classrooms delivering lessons and workshops to over 112 students– 72 more students and 3.5 more hours than anticipated. Plus, beyond our deliverables, we also engaged, collaborated with and shaped our tools with 20 or more teachers for over 5 hours. Hopefully leading to excellent groundwork for future collaborations and resource development.
Going Solar Videos
We created two introductory explainer videos for homeowners who want to switch to solar energy in New Brunswick, to help them navigate the process and answer frequently asked questions.
Thank you for your ongoing support for our energy projects, and special thanks to our collaborators, partners and to Environmental Trust Fund of New Brunswick and MTA’s Green Investment Fund.
The EOS State of the Watershed Report has just been released. During summer 2022 EOS returned to the Cape Tormentine Peninsula region to monitor the water quality of 12 sites (last monitored in 2019). Check it out for analysis of temperature, dissolved oxygen, pH, metals, bacteria, phosphorus and more.